The Soul City Wanderer hunts out 10 places in London’s West End where Queen and Freddie Mercury could have been spotted back in their heyday.
- Playhouse Theatre, Northumberland Avenue WC2: The video for A Kind of Magic was filmed here.
- Heaven: Under the Arches, Villiers Street, WC2. Freddie’s favourite London nightclub haunt back in the 1980s.
- Lyceum Ballroom: Catherine Street WC2: Queen played here during their Crazy Tour on December 13th, 1979.
- Gillian Lynne Theatre: 166 Drury Lane WC2: The video for We Are The Champions was filmed here, followed by a concert on October 6th, 1977.
- Marquee Club: 90 Wardour Street W1: Queen played at the ‘original’ Marquee in January 1971 among other occasions.
- Trident Sound Studios: 17 St. Anne’s Court W1: Queen recorded most of their first two albums Queen and Queen II here.
- Associated Independent Recording Studios: 214 Oxford Street. Queen recorded most of their third album Sheer Heart Attack here.
- Advision Studios: 23 Gosfield Street, W1: Queen recorded most of their Flash Gordon album here.
- Dominion Theatre: Tottenham Court Road W1. Freddie’s last live performance was in the Time musical here on April 14th, 1988. Later, it became the venue for the hit Queen musical We Will Rock You.
- Hyde Park: Queen played a famous huge, free gig here on September 18th 1976.
Follow Soul City Wanderer on Twitter@soulcitywander